Sponsors must meet the following criteria:
- the sponsor/parent relationship requirements
(i.e.: a parent must be the biological, adoptive, or step-parent of the sponsor and a step-parent can only apply if they are still in a married/de facto relationship with a biological parent of the sponsor)
- be aged at least 18 years of age
- be an Australian citizen/permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen who has been usually resident in Australia for four years
- have met any prior sponsorship obligations
- have no adverse information unless it is reasonable to disregard the information
- have no debts to the Commonwealth or public health debts unless appropriate arrangements have been made for payment
- a minimum household income threshold (based on the income of the sponsor, or the combined income of the sponsor and their spouse/partner and/or another child of the parent)
- provide police clearances for any country they have spent more than 12 months cumulatively in during the past 10 years
- authorise information to be shared with the visa applicant.
- Sponsors must also agree to comply with sponsorship obligations in relation to the parent(s) they are sponsoring.
A parent sponsorship will cease:
- if the sponsor’s permanent visa is cancelled
- if the sponsor dies
- if the sponsor withdraws their sponsorship
- if the sponsored parent does not apply for a Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa within six months of the sponsorship being approved
- the day that the Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa ceases.
You must have an approved Parent Sponsor to apply for this visa.
Your sponsor’s household is limited to one sponsorship at a time.
Your sponsor’s sponsorship can cover up to 2 parents per household at a time.