This allows a child to remain in Australia, with their parent who is also their sponsor. The parent must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen. The parent acts as a sponsor for the child and can lodge the visa application on behalf of the child. A child can be younger than 18 years of age, a full-time student between 18 and 25 years of age, or is unable to work due to a disability and is dependent on the sponsoring parent. A child is single (does not have a spouse, is not engaged to be married, and does not have a de facto partner). The sponsored child can include their own dependent children in this application.


The child must be under 18 years old and must have been adopted or in the process of being adopted by an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen and must be sponsored by that person.

The child must be outside of Australia while the Visa application is being processed. If the adoption is being processed by a territory or state adoption agency, you are allowed to complete the Visa application before the adoption is finalised.

Contact us to book a consultation and discuss the above with our team.

Useful tips

Australia is always very protective of children and in most categories the assigned case officer will expect the non-migrating biological parent to provide the necessary permission for their child to travel to Australia to take up a temporary or permanent visa.

Child Visas + Other Family Related Visas